Trial set for man charged with killing cyclist

Todd Shaw
By Kristin Rover
Sun staff

A jury trial has been scheduled for Todd Shaw, the man who was charged with hitting and killing a cyclist on Round Bottom Road in Union Township.

Clermont County Prosecutor Vince Faris said Shaw is scheduled for a jury trial beginning Aug. 4.

“Picking a jury trial date is all that has gone on so far,” Faris said.

Faris said Shaw pleaded not guilty to the charges during his arraignment.

“He has a not guilty plea,” Faris said. “If he decides to plead guilty the trial would be called off.”

Faris said the prosecutor’s office is pretty much finished with their investigation. He said they will now be working on preparing for the trial.

“We don’t expect any new evidence,” he said.

Shaw was arrested by police who tracked down his yellow van after witnesses indicated he hit and killed Fredrick Carey, 51, of Milford, who was riding his bicycle on Round Bottom Road in Union Township Feb. 21.

According to Lieutenant Scott Gaviglia, operations commander at the Union Township Police Department, police responded to the hit-and-run incident near 473 Round Bottom Road at approximately 6:25 p.m. Feb. 21.

Carey was pronounced dead, and the suspect had fled the scene.

Union Township Sergeant Rick Wagner, who responded to the scene, said the cyclist was rear-ended by the driver of the vehicle.

It was determined that Carey was operating his bicycle in a legal manner on the road, and Wanger said two people witnessed the crash.

Gaviglia said police canvassed the area in search of the suspect and checked local liquor permit holders. Witnesses said the suspect was driving a large, yellow van and headed west on Round Bottom Road.

Wagner said that after searching for several hours they located the suspect.

Shaw was arrested and transported to Clermont County Jail after police located his vehicle at 12:15 a.m. Feb. 22 in the 4500 block of Dameron Lane.

Gaviglia said investigators determined that alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Shaw is still incarcerated at Clermont County Jail on a $500,000 bond.