The Batavia High School Athletic Boosters and Terry Sheehan, Batavia High School athletic director, have devised an ingenious plan for an athletic event that has not taken place in Clermont County since 1931.
The last known all-inclusive, Clermont County-wide track and field championship meet for elementary schools, only, took place in the spring of 1931 on the fields behind Whitaker School. Known as Batavia Township District #3 school, Whitaker was a one-room schoolhouse in which the youngest eight grades were taught together. It still stands on the southwest corner of the intersection of Amelia-Olive Branch Road and Judd Road. For many years it served as the Batavia Township Hall and it also served for years as a private residence. Whitaker was the name of the family that owned the land when the school was built, from bricks fired on the site, in the mid 1800s.